DIY 10×8 Storage Shed with Flexible Door Locations
This DIY 10×8 storage shed is one of our most versatile buildings we offer. You can even install the door on the eave or gable side. This shed can be great if you want to free up space in your garage or to get organized. The Somerset features a strong 2×4 construction that can easily stand up to heavy wind and snow loads. Next, the LP® engineered wood siding will protect your investment from the elements for many years to come. Finally, there is a storage shed that offers heavy-duty construction at a low price.
- Flexible door location – Install on eave or gable side
- 64″ wide door opening
- 6′ high side walls
- 8′ high peak
- Pre-cut, ready to assemble
- LP® engineered wood siding resists termites, rot and decay
Product No. 18501-4
Shown: 10×8 storage shed, doors on gable.
Contemporary Gable Style Design Adds Extra Charm to Any Backyard
Install pre-assembled, pre-hung 5 ft. 4 in. wide by 6 ft. high, double doors centered or offset, on eave or gable side. The Somerset features 6 ft. high side walls and an 8 ft. high peak for plenty of stand-tall storage space for riding mowers, lawn equipment and other outdoor items. If that is not enough, the brilliant engineering of this 10×8 storage shed features 582 cubic feet of storage space. Your storage dilemma has been answered.
Strong & Durable…
- Strong 2×4 construction engineered and tested to withstand heavy wind and snow loads
- LP® engineered wood siding is factory primed to resist fungal decay and termites
- Premium rust-resistant, keyed locking lever offers security
- Continuous galvanized steel hinges resists door sagging
- Cross bucks add style and strength
- Pre-assembled, pre-hung doors feature steel stiffener to resist warping
- Hand-crafted with pride in the U.S.A.
- 15 year limited warranty
Easy to Assemble…
- Pre-cut and ready to assemble
- Fully illustrated, easy to read instructions included
- LP® siding is lightweight and installs using standard woodworking tools
- Easy to assemble with hammer, screwdriver, tape measure, level and step ladder
- No special skills are necessary
- Siding is primed and ready for paint (paint and shingles sold separately)
|Warranty||15 year limited warranty|
|Wall Height||6 feet|
|Peak Height||8 feet|
|Cubic Feet Storage||582|
|Double Door Size||5'4|
|Flexible Door Location||yes|
|Type of Handle/Lock Included||Premium rust-resistant, keyed locking lever offers security|
|Door Trim Design Options||Cross bucks add style and strength, 4 designs available|
|7/16” OSB Roof Panels||yes|
|Floor Material||2 x 4 treated joists – 16” OC – 5/8” OSB decking|
|Siding||LP® engineered wood siding resists termites, rot and decay|
|Rafter - Truss Framing||2x4|
|Items not included - Furnished by Homeowner|
|Exterior latex paint needed (provided by homeowner)||Siding: 2 gal. | Trim: 1 qt.|
|Bundles of Shingles Needed (provided by homeowner)||4 bundles | 1 in. nails: 2 (1 lb. box)|
- Durable polypropylene construction
- Provides natural light and ventilation
- Is a permit required to build a DIY storage shed on my property?
- Am I responsible for obtaining the permit?
- Can I build the 10x8 storage shed on a cement pad?
- Do shingles come with my shed kit?
- Does the shed come painted and do I select the color?
- If I receive my shed kit and it has damage and/or missing boards, will you replace the damaged parts?
- When talking about a building size, how do I know which one is depth and width?
- What are the site recommendations before I start building?
- Do I need to paint my building right away, what type of paint is recommended and should I caulk the joints?
- How should I maintain my shed?
Q: Is a permit required to build a DIY storage shed on my property?A: You will need to check on city ordinances before purchase. Permitting is usually determined by your township based on the size structure you choose.
Q: Am I responsible for obtaining the permit?A: You the customer is responsible for obtaining any necessary permits. If engineered drawings are required to obtain a permit unsigned and unstamped drawings can be downloaded from this site under the “Downloads” tab. If you require signed and stamped drawings they can be obtained from our customer service department for a fee – 800-221-1849.
Q:Can I build the 10x8 storage shed on a cement pad?A: Yes, there are specific dimension that the slab will need to be to fit the shed. Contact our customer service hotline for specs.
Q: Do shingles come with my shed kit?A: No, they do not. You're responsible for purchasing shingles to fit your designing needs.
Q: Does the shed come painted and do I select the color?A: No, the shed does not come painted; you're responsible for painting the shed upon completion of the building. The outside shed walls are factory primed and ready for paint.
Q:If I receive my shed kit and it has damage and/or missing boards, will you replace the damaged parts?A: There are a couple options if this issue occurs. 1. You can contact our customer service department at 800-221-1849 and we can arrange for the shipment of the product to your home. 2. You can purchase the needed missing or damaged items from the Home Depot store. You will need to fax/email/mail their receipts of the purchased missing/damaged parts to Handy Home Products corporate office. We will reimburse 100% for any item that were missing/damaged in the kit.
Q: When talking about a building size, how do I know which one is depth and width?A: Width is always listed first; this is also the side that the door is located. Depth is always listed second. Example: 10 x 8 (10 feet wide by 8 feet deep storage shed)
Q:What are the site recommendations before I start building?A: We recommend a minimum of 3 ft. clearance around the building in order for you to construct the building properly. A minimum of 4 ft. is recommended if your shed is 12 ft. wide or more. A 3 ft. clearance is recommended if for overhead shingle protection.
Q: Do I need to paint my building right away, what type of paint is recommended and should I caulk the joints?A: Buildings must be painted within 60 days of installation. All raw exterior wood must be primed using a quality exterior primer before painting. Nail holes, small knots and blemishes can be filled with exterior wood putty prior to priming. Seal all joints, seams and using an acrylic latex caulk application. All factory primed siding and trim must be painted using high quality exterior 100% acrylic-latex paint (we recommend a satin or semi-gloss finish) to protect your building. Be sure to paint all exposed edges of the siding, especially the bottom edge, and all six sides (top, bottom, two sides, front and back) of the doors.
Q: How should I maintain my shed?A: Like your home, your new storage or recreational building will require occasional maintenance to insure many years of use and enjoyment. In addition to re-painting or staining your building as needed, you must perform other maintenance.
- Keep all grass and other vegetation trimmed around the entire perimeter of the building. Do not mound soil or mulch against the siding.
- Buildings which are built on a wood floor (Gazebos excluded), should be constructed on 4x4 treated runners which resist damage from ground moisture and insects (treated wood 4x4 runners not included in kit). These runners also elevate your buildings floor, allowing for important air circulation under the foundation. This circulation must be maintained to insure long life of your wood foundation; you must use a lattice or other material that will allow for proper air circulation.
- Do not stack anything against the exterior of your building, such as firewood, for any period of time.
- Locking doorknobs or levers should be sprayed with silicone or other lubricant to maintain locking mechanism and prevent freezing in cold climates.
- We do not recommend insulating or heating your building.
- Do not let sprinklers spray your building.
10×8 storage sheds: As our company logo states, we only manufacture high quality products that are easy and quite handy. The most common purpose of a shed is storage for those items people want to keep get out of the way. However, our wood storage sheds can be utilized for many different things. See the list below for the most current trends in the storage industry…
- Workshop shed
- Artist’s studio
- Mediation studio
- Outdoor office
- Playhouse/Play Room
- Exercise room
- Man Cave
- Hobby room
Customizing a shed to fit your needs is easier than you think. You can quickly add a theme to your shed with some paint and decals, or check out our accessories to see our shelves and organizers.